So you wanna ride the bus?
Here’s what we need from you – and what you can expect from us.
You can sign up to ride the bus here.
What will my daily schedule look like?
- Depending on the number of bus riders and local volunteers, you can expect to have some time to do some sightseeing in every city we visit.
- You should also plan to do some work:
- Everyone will help set up and break down the stand
- Volunteers will take shifts staffing the stand and helping with voter registration
- Write and record daily updates/testimonials, etc. for posting to our social media channels (website, blogs, Facebook, Youtube)
- Plan to:
- Wake up early in the morning, get to our meeting point, and get on the bus and travel to the next city
- Run the stand during the day
- Meet with the local chapter for dinner in the evening
- Go to your homestay and get some sleep!
- Note: We have asked local committees to sponsor meals, snacks, and water for us, but as some groups may be quite small, you may occasionally need to pay for small meal expenses (e.g. a sandwich).
What do I need to do before the bus tour starts?
- Come up with a list of news media (school papers, local newspapers, local television and radio) for everywhere you have lived in the United States
- Provide this list of media to our U.S. press contact (press@DemocratsAbroadRoadTrip.org)
- Using our press packet, contact these local media to let them know about your upcoming experience
- Pack and get excited to join us!
What should I pack?
- Clothes (please pack light and in a duffel bag that can be smushed)
- Any meds you take
- Toiletries (not too heavy, please!)
- A reliable alarm clock!
- Umbrella/rain gear (just in case)
- Cell phone (preferably a smart phone)
- Laptop or tablet (optional)
- Headphones with microphone (optional)
- A book (if you want to read on the bus!)
- Lots of energy!
How much is this gonna cost me?
You will be responsible for the following expenses:
- Travel to/from the bus (we recommend getting on or off the bus in your home city!)
- Incidentals (snacks, local transportation costs, tourism/entertainment, etc.)
The bus departure time will be clearly communicated to you each evening. If you miss the bus, you will also be responsible for making your way to the next city. Unfortunately, we cannot assume these costs. Please bring a good alarm!
Our fundraising team will provide you with some sample letters you can use to request funding from your local chapter and supporters back home.
I want to do more! What additional opportunities exist?
- While on the bus, here’s how you can help:
- help pack, unpack, and clean the bus
- write about your experience (to be shared)
- help other bus riders write their “press releases” for their media contacts (hometown newspapers) back in the States
- help with organization and daily logistics issues
- serve as Social Media Team Leader (minimum 1 week commitment)
- serve as Logistics Team Leader (minimum 1 week commitment)
- You can also help before or after your leg of the trip. Here’s how:
- media relations
- social media
- logistics and coordination
Please contact us for more details!